As of Monday, March 16 our NY Lifesaving Center is closed to the public, and all of our animals have been placed in foster. As of March 30, adoptions will take place remotely through an online application and video-conference meet-and-greets.
To arrange an adoption:
- Search for available pets *Applications that note a specific animal of interest will be prioritized*
- Complete either the Dog Adoption Survey or Cat Adoption Survey, the results of which will be sent to our adoption counselors for review.
- An adoption counselor will contact you directly to schedule a virtual meet-and-greet within 72 hours of your survey submission. If you are not contacted, we suggest you apply for a different pet, or adopt from one of our network partners.
- Following the virtual meet-and-greet, the adoption can be finalized and arrangements will be made for you to officially get your new best friend!
The entire adoption process will take place virtually, surveys are reviewed on a first-come first-served system, and if you are scheduled for a meet and greet, you will be contacted within 72 hours of survey submission. Due to the overwhelming number of adoption survey responses we receive, we are unable to respond individually to every applicant.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, and expect a delay in our response. Please do not email to follow up about your application, as this hinders our ability to save more lives. Adoption requirements and fees listed below still apply.
Adopt to Save Them All
By choosing to adopt a pet from a shelter, you are saving a life. Plus, no matter what type of dog or cat you’re looking for, you’re sure to find your new best friend at a shelter, where there are wonderful pets of every breed, size, and age.
Find a pet
Use the search below to find adoptable pets from us and our rescue partners.
For more information about adoption or a particular pet, please contact us at AdoptNYC@bestfriends.org. Adopt one to help Save Them All!
Please keep in mind, to be considered as an adopter, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have identification showing your present address
- Have the knowledge and consent of your landlord
- Be able and willing to spend the time and money necessary to provide training, medical treatment and proper care of the animal
Dogs less than six months old: $350
Dogs six months and older: $250
*An $8.50 dog license fee applies in New York City.
Cats less than six months old: $125
Cats six months and older: $100
Gen X Cats Adoption Promo!
Middle-aged cats often get overlooked for their younger or older feline friends. That's why we're promoting our Gen X Cats as "Cats of the 80s" for a limited time adoption promo!
September 14th through September 27th all cats 6-10 years old are just $19.80! Apply on our adoption page to set up a virtual meet and greet for one of these sweet cats.
Cats included are: